Why We Give
“Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay treasures for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.” – 1 Timothy 6:17-19
Our giving represents an act of worship in which we thank God for our blessings and acknowledge that everything we have is a gift from God. We give because He first gave to us.
“Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift.” – 2 Corinthians 9:15
“Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” – 2 Corinthians 9:7
Everything we own, everything we have comes from God. So when we give, we simply offer him a very small portion of all the abundance he has already given to us. Giving is an expression of our thankfulness and praise to God! It comes from a heart of worship. For everything we give already belongs to him!
Giving Is :
- an obligation – Romans 12:13; Galatians 2:10; Hebrews 13:16; 1 John 3:17
- a privilege – 2 Corinthians 8 :4, 9; Acts 20:35
- one dimension of our stewardship – Luke 16:1-13
- an act of worship- Hebrews 9:1-10; 10:1-25; 13:10-16
- an investment – Matthew 6:19-21; Luke 16:1-13
- an act of self-sacrifice – Romans 12:1-2; Matthew 6:2-4; Luke 14:12-14
- an expression of brotherly love – Matthew 25:31-46; Luke 3:11; Romans 12:13